Sunday, April 20, 2008


Spring Evenings

There aren't many memories I have that are more powerful than memories of spring or summer evenings where the light fades very slowly, and the breeze that kicks up at night is a welcome companion. Many of the best things I can recall are associated with just such evenings. I like the sound of the word "evening" and the connotation that this is the time when you balance out the day, you make your life "even" again. Some things I associate with late spring/early summer evenings:

  • Softball games in Grand Prairie, TX with John Shipman, Greg Nix, Mike Edwards, John Nix, Danny Rucker, John Zacharias, many others


  • UTA intramural sports - Mike Kessler on our soccer team: the only guy who knew how to play


  • Barbara Merrill's Volkswagen stalling outside my house and I hear it through an open bedroom window: Mark to the rescue


  • Watermelon fights at Amfisso apartments: swimming in the half-full pool with our clothes on


  • Sitting by Steve's pool with Dr. Steve and Dr. Karl, or any of the 4th of July parties


  • On the beach in Jacksonville with my bro


  • Coming up the 18th fairway with Ken Rystad, playing golf until you couldn't really see the ball land


  • Terilli's patio moments


  • Walking to the UTA library from Border West, or walking to the Psych Building


  • Pool parties at Mary McKinney's house


  • Sitting by my pool now with Teresa, drinking good wine and talking


  • Playing minature golf in Overton Texas with my grandparents, swatting mosquitoes and smelling the sawdust


  • Watching the sun set from the Adea offices and listening to Steve say "this is your town"


  • Most recently, drinking wine with Mary Webb and Teresa in Archer City

My life hasn't been all about motion, like some of my friends. Steve was always in motion: still is. David Casey was always in motion, though sometimes slow motion. Kevin is a motion guy: not still until the night is deep upon us does he wind down. I am not a motion guy.


It is the stopping that I remember most, and spring and summer evenings are made for stopping and looking, listening, smelling. I am not going to waste any more evenings.

No comments: