Saturday, February 02, 2008

Wondering and Wandering


As some of you know, I am in the throes of some kind of crisis – mid-life, meaning of my life, stagnancy vs. generavity – not sure what to name it, but basically I am 52 years old and think I ought to go ahead and do what I was meant to do, rather than what I know how to do. The only trouble is, I am not sure what I am meant to do.

So I am randomly casting about, reading things and thinking about things, and in general just trying to open up, since my tendency is to close down and try to plan outcomes, rather than let things flow. This morning, I see a video piece about some guy in Montana riding a covered wagon to California. And in the video, all these people who see him basically say, “If I wasn’t (married, tied down, committed, constrained, bound by velvet ropes, you fill in the blank) I would do the same thing. Up and go. Travel and see where it takes me.” So in my fevered state of mind, I think, “Yeah. Me too. Only how can I facilitate this? Is there an industry/website/organization devoted to helping people wander?”

Sidebar – I read somewhere that elder men in the Indian culture take journeys once they retire. They go on some form of walkabout. I think I read it in a Salman Rushdie novel. Matt Freeman (CEO of Tribal DDB) and I kid about what will happen when we go on our walkabout.



I Googled "wandering planning US" because how the hell do you search for websites about planning to go wandering (oxymoron of the highest nature).


I found this website, by a former teacher/principal/librarian and it has some stuff that was really eye-opening, but also some stuff that seemed very incongruous. I don't know quite what to make of it, except that I like the fact this guy is apparently making a living talking about thinking in a different way. Gives me hope.

The March, 2007 issue had some really interesting things to say about the value of wondering, and wandering. So I wonder if there is a way to help facilitate wandering, in the sense of helping people plan not to plan?

I would be interested to know anyone's thoughts on the topics, either personal or professional.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeking Without Seeking
If you seek, how is that different from pursuing sound and form? If you don’t seek, how are you different from earth, wood, or stone? You must seek without seeking.
Zen Master Foyan

You came into this life knowing who you are, and exactly what you are meant to do. The noise of everyday life is what has made it hard to see. Just release your thoughts and you’ll see clearly again.

Anonymous said...

Don't be such a pussy! When you get out to East Texas you are in for an ass kicking. And to the other anonymous - get yourself a "hang in there baby" poster with a kitty on it...

DaRightRev said...

Anonymous one -

Thanks for the reminder. Embrace the paradox.

Anonymous two -

I am up for an ass kicking. Migh be just the tonic I need.

Anonymous said...

I remember having that same feeling when I was 52. But by the time you are 65, it just faaaaades.....